Docbook Source FIles and Subversio

Christian Stimming stimming at tuhh.de
Sun Sep 28 16:10:32 EDT 2008

Am Sonntag, 28. September 2008 13:01 schrieb Tom Browder:
> Given the rather fluid nature of xml and xml editors (non-value white
> space generally insignificant), is there any agreed-upon procedure to
> minimize white space changes in docbook source files affecting
> subversion operations?

There is no agreed-upon procedure. Right now, we simply commit the changes,
taking into account that more lines than necessary will show a diff. In other
words, everyone who has an update can simply submit it here and in general it
will be committed without further changes.

> It seems to me that somehow enforcing xml code under version control
> to be in canonical form would be useful, perhaps enforced by some kind
> of subversion hook.

If there were a canonical form easily available, making this known among the
people with SVN access would probably be enough. I don't think you need to
add the additional constraints of subversion hooks - but then, I'm also too
lazy to learn about the appropriate subversion hooks.

Regards,

Christian