Tutorial on Plugins

Sebastian Held sebastian.held at gmx.de
Fri Apr 3 15:39:02 EDT 2009

marcus.wolschon at googlemail.com schrieb:
> On Tue, 31 Mar 2009 17:33:44 +0200, Sebastian Held <sebastian.held at gmx.de>
> wrote:
>
>> Hello List,
>>
>> I've placed a small tutorial on:
>> http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Building
>>
>> It's a bit misplaced, so feel free to move it (and feel free to correct
>> spelling, ...).
>> I didn't found this particular information at the site, but if it's
>>
> already
>
>> there feel free to delete it.
>>

> It looks very usefull.
> However:
>
> 1) I would name the page "plugin_tutorial" instead of "Building"
> 2) State what the page is about at the start of the page
> 3) Link to the documentation on what APIs the plugin can use.
>
> Marcus
The page "Building" was already there and that seems to be the best
place to put this tutorial in (the best place I had write permissions to).
APIs - yes, good point. But I do not know ;) As far as I currenty
believe, the plugin is able to use the full power of GnuCash (it's in the
same address space). Some concept similiar to swig should be used to
dynamically link to the GnuCash modules, but a static link will
do, too (I guess).

The future vision should be: a development kit, which allows for
external plugin development; full dynamic linking; a modifieable GnuCash
infrastructure (already discussed on the list to eventually be made from
look up tables) for hooking into existing functions...

Let's start with the simple things. The next thing I like to do, is to
add a small glade example and use this knowledge to finally get my
customer import module finished.

Sebastian