Graphs & CHarts primer [was Re: Custom Multicolumn Reports broken]

Andrew Sackville-West andrew at swclan.homelinux.org
Fri Apr 17 10:57:06 EDT 2009

On Thu, Apr 16, 2009 at 12:57:23PM -0400, Phil Longstaff wrote:
> I've taken a quick look at this.  I think I broke it when I split the html
> stuff out of gnome-utils into a separate html library.

Phil, can you give me a quick primer on the code path from a graph or
chart to rendered html? Somewhere in there we are setting titles and
not paying attention to how long they might be relative to the size of
the figure resulting in truncated titles.

I see where the title gets declared in the scheme code and assembled
into an html string. What would control font size at that point? Do we
need to use CSS for it (fonts within the graph proper, that is) or is it
that rendered by something else?

I guess the real question, now that I've thought this through, is what
determines the font scaling within the graphs and what, if anything,
controls line wrap as well? The hackish fix for this seems to be to
force a </br> into that html string, but that's just, well, hackish,
as it doesn't address the real problem of font scaling.