sorting of transactions within day

Mike or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at mtdata.com
Tue Apr 28 08:24:34 EDT 2009

marcus.wolschon at googlemail.com wrote:

>Hello,
>
>what sorting is used for the transactions
>within a single day?
>I would like to make sure the transactions
>get the same sorting-order they have on
>the bank-account to make comparing both
>easier for the user.
>Could this be done my modifying the time
>in the postedDate or should I look somewhere
>else?
>

>Marcus

You would first have to look at "what rule does the bank follow" with of
course no expectation that any two banks would be following the same
rule. That should be enough to convince you that nothing done at the
Gnucash end could guarantee the same order except the ability to define
a complex set of rules for order.

When choosing a bank, an important consideration is whether for
transactions on the same date they process "debits before credits" or
"credits before debits" as that can influence whether or not you get hit
with "overdraft penalty charges" or even have checks bounce for
insufficient funds. You MIGHT find a bank which used "time of day" but I
have never encountered any. Take a look at the fine print and you will
probably see things like "deposits will be credited as of the close of
business on the day made" or even "deposits made after X time of day
will be credited as of the following business day" (the last is the only
place I have seen "time of day" taken into consideration).

Keep in mind that for checks coming back to the bank, their arrival and
entry into the bank's records is random with respect to when written and
entered in GnuCash. The only thing that would be the same in both places
is the check number and the date written.

Michael