[MacOSX]Cut, Copy, and Paste in the registers

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Mon Aug 3 14:51:49 EDT 2009

On Aug 3, 2009, at 7:55 AM, Derek Atkins wrote:

> Hi,
>
> John Ralls <jralls at ceridwen.us> writes:
>
>> I've figured out why this doesn't work: The register module (and
>> perhaps a couple of others, I haven't looked) implements Cut, Copy,
>> and Paste via gtkselections.c, which in turn depends upon
>> gdkselection(-quartz).c. Unfortunately, gdkselection is an ICCCM
>> (i.e., X-Windows) specific protocol. It might be possible to
>> implement
>> in Cocoa, but it would be a lot of work.
>>
>> It seems to me to be completely unnecessary for registers, where all
>> of the data are strings. Is there any good reason not to rewrite the
>> cut, copy, and paste functions to simply work the same as the main
>> window ones? (If they go away along with the menu-stuffing and
>> callbacks, will the gnc-main-window versions just magically take
>> over?)
>
> IIRC (I may be mistaken) the register cut/copy/paste does full
> transaction copying...  But I might be misremembering.

Derek,

No, it doesn't seem to. One can't even select a whole transaction that
way, which I guess is why the Transaction menu has its own cut/copy/
paste functions (which work fine under Quartz, by the way).

Gtk_selection_* is used only in src/register/register-gnome/gnucash-
item-edit.c, and appears to be used only for operating on a single
element in a transaction or split.

Regards,
John Ralls