New gnucash Mac OSX binaries fail to start

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Sat Aug 22 23:06:00 EDT 2009

On Aug 22, 2009, at 2:09 PM, David T. wrote:

> I didn't bother with the command line; I just dragged the .app into
> Applications, and then double clicked the icon there, and it fired
> up just fine.
>
> I will note that I already have Gnucash installed via Fink, and
> therefore a data file and all the preferences; I wonder whether the
> binary needs these things to exist before it will work. I'm just
> guessing here. Another thing to guess about: I notice a lot of
> references to /opt, and wonder if there might be conflict with a
> MacPorts Gnucash installation (if you had one).
>
> Finally, I will note that the first time I fired up the binary, it
> asked for my admin password. Is that really necessary?
>
> David

Heh, you didn't read the README. It needs the admin password to
create /opt/gnucash-2.2.9, which it links back to the bundle to fool
the Gnome stuff (mostly dbus, but at least GConf also has hard-coded
paths in the binaries, and there are problably other offenders) into
thinking that they're installed where they were built. If you move the
app bundle, it will ask for your password again.

All of the grep junk comes from not having a default locale.  Open
System Preferences>International and move youe preferred one to the
top of the list. (If it bothers you, that is. It normally only shows
up in console.log.

The Applescript which makes the link won't work right if you run it
from the command line, the path gets messed up (as you can see from
the messages
> Linking ./Contents/Resources to /opt/gnucash-2.2.9
> /Applications/GnuCash-Intel.app/Contents/MacOS/Contents/MacOS/
> GnuCash-bin:
> No such file or directory

You can make the directory yourself and comment out the Applescript
from the startup script if you really *must* run Gnucash from the
command line by saying "/Applications/GnuCash-Intel.app/Contents/MacOS/
GnuCash", but it's
alot simpler to just say "open /Applications/GnuCash;app" or even to
just double-click on it in Finder. You can even drag it to the Dock if
you like. After all, the whole point of the exercise is to make it
like any other Mac application.

Regards,
John Ralls