Common code indentation (follow-up to 2007 discussion)

Christian Stimming stimming at tuhh.de
Fri Aug 28 17:00:48 EDT 2009

Am Donnerstag, 13. August 2009 22:56 schrieb Tim Abell:
> Late to the party, but currently I prefer tab indents to spaces as it
> allows each developer to decide for themselves how big the indent is.

I'm afraid I don't agree to this one. Things like multi-line function
declarations (or multi-line statements):

some_function_name(char *arg1,
                                     char *arg2,
                                     char *arg3);

Usually we expect all three "char *" parts to be horizontally aligned. To
achieve this, the indentation for the subsequent arguments must be done using
spaces, as otherwise the column where the second argument is shown changes
arbitrarily depending on the tab size of your currently used editor. In other
words, no, a variable tab size is not a solution but will instead cause you
new problems. Either you must decide on a fixed tab size, or we must use
spaces. I'd stick with the spaces because of this.

Regards,

Christian