MacOSX builds of 2.3.X

Phil Longstaff plongstaff at rogers.com
Wed Dec 9 21:18:00 EST 2009

On Wed, 2009-12-09 at 17:59 -0800, John Ralls wrote:
> On Dec 9, 2009, at 8:24 AM, Phil Longstaff wrote:
>
> > I guess this is mostly for John Ralls who seems to be providing the 2.2.9 native MacOSX builds.
> >
> > I just recently clued in that I am not doing anything to synchronize with you so that a native macosx build of 2.3.X could be uploaded to sourceforge along with the win32 build so that we would provide tarballs, win32 setup.exe and mac .dmg at the same time.  This assumes, of course, that mac 2.3.X builds are possible :)  How do you want to coordinate?  Shall I just send you an e-mail?  Do you have a daily svn build so that if 2.3.X is tagged, you can easily produce a .dmg?
>
> I've actually got a 2.3.8 build built and ready to bundle for installation. I'm holding off to get the PERLINC issue sorted out.
>
> You told the list that you'd tagged 2.3.8 but didn't say when you were planning to upload the tarballs and make an announcement. If you add that information and give a few days lead time, I should be able to build the tagged revision and bundle it up to meet the release date.
>
> I don't do nightly builds, never mind nightly bundles. Derek wanted to set that up on a VM somewhere, but we got distracted by other things and never got it going. I suppose it would be a good idea for me to set it up locally so if something breaks I'll see it without having to spend a lot of time bisecting to find the problem.  (A nightly build wouldn't necessarily line up with a tagged release, so it's just a QA check, not something that would save time for bundling a release.)

Unfortunately, there are a few steps between tagging the build and doing
the upload.  If I tag on day 0, I can also create the tarballs on the
same day.  However, I need to wait until day 1 before the win32 build is
complete (assuming it does complete).  I then try to download it and
install it to make sure it installs and starts OK.  Then, I can upload
everything to sourceforge (I just figured out how to make that work
reliably).  If the win32 build doesn't work, it needs to be fixed, and I
then need to untag and retag the build.  According to Derek, if the
untag and retag are on different days, the tag build will kick itself
off again.  Otherwise, it needs to be manually kicked.  Once the 2
tarballs and win32 setup.exe are on sourceforge, I update the news for
the gnucash website and then send out the release notes.

If our 3 most-supported platforms are linux, win32 and mac, then I
suggest that for 2.3.9, I won't announce the release until the 2
tarballs, win32 setup.exe and mac build are available on sourceforge.

Phil