r18476 - htdocs/trunk/news - Fix unstable version warning

Geert Janssens janssens-geert at telenet.be
Thu Dec 10 12:17:36 EST 2009

On Thursday 10 December 2009, Christian Stimming wrote:

> > You can check Show full log messages and click update. This gives you a
> > view with full log messages, but the layout is slightly changed as well.
> > Maybe this helps ?
> >
> > If not, I think I should be able to whip up a script that extracts the
> > right information and massage it into the proper format.
>
> We also have such a script - the makefile rules for the ChangeLog file
> in the top-level directory do exactly this: It downloads the svn log
> data from the hard-coded revision and formats it into some text file
> by the use of an xslt style sheet.
>
> Regards,
>
> Christian

I didn't know that. I have looked at the Changelog script. It is unfortunately
of not much help for generating the news files. It outputs plain text, in a
particular Changelog format.

I played a bit with xslt myself and came up with a script that takes 2
parameters: $oldversion and $newversion. (eg 2.3.7 and 2.3.8). It will get all
the commits that went into release $newversion since release $oldversion and
outputs a simple html table with this info. This can then be copy/pasted into
the newsfile for $newversion.

I have also considered automatically generating the news file, but I don't
think that is really possible. There are parts of a news message that are
setup by hand (like the major changes section).

I haven't commited this script anywhere just yet. I'm just playing with ideas.
I will attach the example output. It currently contains revision number,
committer and logmessage. Would that be reasonable information to put in a
newsmessage on the website, or do you prefer to keep it as a bulleted list as
it is now ?

Of course, if we go for a table format, I will add additional CSS to have a
cleaner layout.

Geert