make install issue when prefix contains a "+"

Christian Stimming stimming at tuhh.de
Thu Dec 31 04:33:06 EST 2009

Am Donnerstag, 31. Dezember 2009 schrieb Geert Janssens:
> > (gconftool-2:28251): GConf-WARNING **: Failed to load
> > source "xml::/opt/gnucash-2.2.9+18037/etc/gconf/gconf.xml.defaults":
> >  Couldn't resolve address for configuration source: Bad address
> > `xml::/opt/gnucash-2.2.9+18037/etc/gconf/gconf.xml.defaults': `+' is an
> > invalid character in a configuration storage address
> >
> > GConf-ERROR **: file gconftool.c: line 918 (main): assertion failed: (err
> >  == NULL)
> > aborting...
> >
> > I think it is because my prefix /opt/gnucash-2.2.9+18037 contains a +
> > character.
>
> I doubt this is a GnuCash bug. It appears GConf is throwing the error: it
> doesn't like the + sign in your path. So if you want to report a bug, it
> should be against GConf, not GnuCash. But perhaps it's best to ask the
>  GConf people first about it, I don't know much of GConf myself.
>
> Meanwhile, you could work around this if you like by replacing the + sign
>  with something else, like
> /opt/gnucash-2.2.9_w_18037

I agree - if this is a bug, it will be one in the context of gconf, but surely
not gnucash. However, I think the reason for the "bug" is that gconf has
additional constraints on the installation location. A "+" character in the
filename can very well fall into that category - just as the win32 filesystems
disallow quite a number of additional characters which "seem allowed" on unix
filesystem. I'd say we just have to accept gconf doesn't allow the "+"
character in filenames and that's it.

Regards,

Christian