Pasting transactions in register

Beth Leonard beth at oasis.slimy.com
Tue Feb 24 12:47:42 EST 2009

On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 10:02:09PM -0800, Charles Day wrote:
> In a register, what is the expected behavior of the "Paste Transaction" menu
> item when pasting to a non-new transaction? After asking for user
> confirmation, should it paste the data into the existing transaction,
> immediately commit the changes, and move down to the next transaction? Or
> should it paste the data without committing and leave the user on the same
> line? Or something else?

Personally, if I paste one transaction into another transaction, I'd do
it because I was creating a split where I wanted two transactions to be
tied together. i.e. sometimes I do financial transactions that are all
one logical group but the way the money moves, it's like moving money
from account A to account B and C to D.

That is, if I paste one transaction into another one, I want the split
to open up.  Leave the first transaction as-is and add the new one as
additional splits to the first one.  Leave the transaction "open" and
don't commit it yet (leave the user on the same line.)

(I can't tell from your description if this is what it does or not.)

Just my 0.02.

--Beth
Beth Leonard
http://www.LeonardFamilyVideos.com