Request for some Enhancements of Gnucash

Chris Dennis cgdennis at btinternet.com
Fri Jan 2 06:07:05 EST 2009

Christian Stimming wrote:
> Am Montag, 29. Dezember 2008 10:10 schrieb Chris Dennis:
>>> 5. GIVE THE ABILITY TO EASY CREATE AND IMPORT REPORTS
>>> - Without knowledge of scheme programming: create the report in another
>>> format (XML ?), translated in scheme by gnucash. Is it possible ?
>>> I hate parenthesis!
>> Gnucash's current report customising system is a major problem for me too.
>
> It is for many of us. However, the necessary effort to re-write the complete
> reporting system has still been considered too large compared to the
> necessary learning curve of using the current one.

I see that someone has put a lot of effort into creating SWIG bindings
for Python.  Does anyone know the status of this work?  Is this the way
forward for GnuCash reports?

Alternatively, given that GnuCash has so much Scheme code in it, would
it be a better solution to create a chunk of Scheme that processes
report templates written in some form of pseudo-HTML (for example)?
Then report designers could just change the report templates rather than
having to get to grips with Scheme.

cheers

Chris
Chris Dennis                                  cgdennis at btinternet.com