$echo undefined in libtool

Davide Imbeni davide.imbeni at gmail.com
Thu Jan 8 11:14:28 EST 2009

Hi Andreas,

thanks for your reply. I try to address your questions below...

> I'm used at keeping updated with the svn version of gnucash
>
> what branch do you mean?  I assume you mean trunk.

Yes, trunk.

> > I noticed that libtool defines the variable $ECHO at line 162
>
> What version of libtool?
> What file?  Is it a checked in one?

I refer to the executable file "libtool" that appears in the root directory
of gnucash. It's a shell script, starting as follows:

#! /bin/sh

# libtool - Provide generalized library-building support services.
# Generated automatically by config.status (gnucash) 2.2.99
# Libtool was configured on host titan:
# NOTE: Changes made to this file will be lost: look at ltmain.sh.

 I solved the issue by changing adding the correction to this generated file
(very dirty, I'm afraid...)

> > ECHO="echo"
> >
> > but later on refers to the variable $echo (eg. line 833), which returns
> an
> > empty string and causes failure of "make".
> > Everything works fine again if I manually add in line 163
> >
> > echo="echo"
>
> What file, the same one?  Please append it in compressed form.

Yes, still referring to libtool.
As far as I understand, the point is that "libtool" is generated (by
ltmain.sh?) so as to define "$ECHO", but then it also uses "$echo", and on
linux caps matter...

> > Could this be fixed in the trunk?
>
> I do not understand the issue at all.  Is it about GnuCash?  Do you have
> a patch?

I can only fix it every time I update, by manually adding echo="echo" under
ECHO="echo" in the generated "libtool" script, in the gnucash svn root
directory...

> Files saved with 2.2.8, opened and saved with current trunk later on
> should still work flawlessly in 2.2.8, I think, basically because we did
> not introduce new file features (yet).  This may change of course.
>
> If you save a new file with trunk, it may be saved in an sqlite file.
>
> > Thanks a lot for your help
>
> I am sorry for not being able to really help :-(

I hope I could explain my problem in a better way.
Anyway, you did help me already! The last info is important to me.

Thanks

Davide