Enhancement request: 'Native' importing of '.CSV' files

Dave Reiser dbreiser at earthlink.net
Tue Jan 20 14:45:52 EST 2009

John Smith wrote:
> Hi,
>

> I am aware of the fact that it currently is not possible to import
> arbitrary csv formatted files directly into GnuCash, and that instead
> you have to use or write python/perl/shell scripts to convert between
> the .csv and something that GnuCash understands like Intuit Quicken
> files. But since I am not a programmer, unfortunately I am unable to
> write a script or program to bulk transfer my bank supplied cvs files
> to GnuCash supported formats like Intuit Quicken.
>
> So I was wondering if there is any interest (both from user and
> developer sides) to create a 'native' import-csv-into-gnucash feature,
> preferably something where you can map fields of your csv file to
> gnucash fields, and perhaps even save the mapping into some sort of
> 'template' so that you can easily re-use the mapping when importing
> the next batch from your bank ?
>
> Anyway, just something I was wondering about... I can imagine that
> this topic has come up quite frequently already, so Im sorry if Im the
> one that brings this up for the Nth time, but it would just seem like
> such a basic and still very useful feature for banks that only supply
> CVV formatted files.
>

> Regards,
>

> John Smith

aqbanking (but maybe only the almost release version4?) also has some
capability for csv handling. I'm pretty sure that would mean someone
would have to write a module for gnucash talking to the csv piece
instead of ofx or hbci bits of aqbanking. But it might be simpler than
starting from scratch.

Dave
--
David Reiser