Enhancement request: 'Native' importing of '.CSV' files

Dennis Muhlestein djmuhlestein at gmail.com
Tue Jan 20 15:59:08 EST 2009

Derek Atkins wrote:
> It's in GnuCash Trunk in SVN.
>
> -derek
>
> Quoting Dave <dave at davestechshop.net>:
>
>> Derek,
>> The reason we are working on a free-standing tool is that 1) I wasn't aware
>> of the CSV importer in gnucash code, 2) the developer I'm working with
>> didn't mention it, and 3) and we have already started and made good progress
>> going in this direction. That said, I would be interested in learning more
>> about the CSV importer code. I assume this basic existing CSV import
>> functionality is not compiled into the release version of gnucash...
>> Regards,
>> Dave

Dave you're correct that you don't get CSV support in the released
version.  You'd need to build the development version manually.

I also wasn't aware of the CSV start on Trunk yet.  Dave's CSV format is
quite custom to his needs.  (Multiple accounts in same file etc.)  There
are a lot of issues to be dealt with when dealing with CSV data in
general (like which column means what, who names the columns, how much
does the tool do and how much does the user have to do.)  That aside
though, I'm not opposed to looking at the CSV import on Trunk.

I'm still working on getting the dependencies for Mac lined out to be
built automatically (different topic.) I know a couple other developers
have done work in this area and I wanted to collaborate with them before
getting too far down the road though.

-Dennis