Enhancement request: 'Native' importing of '.CSV' files

marcus.wolschon at googlemail.com marcus.wolschon at googlemail.com
Wed Jan 21 08:28:14 EST 2009

On Tue, 20 Jan 2009 19:26:46 +0100, John Smith <lbalbalba at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>

> I am aware of the fact that it currently is not possible to import
> arbitrary csv formatted files directly into GnuCash, and that instead
> you have to use or write python/perl/shell scripts to convert between
> the .csv and something that GnuCash understands like Intuit Quicken
> files. But since I am not a programmer, unfortunately I am unable to
> write a script or program to bulk transfer my bank supplied cvs files
> to GnuCash supported formats like Intuit Quicken.
>
> So I was wondering if there is any interest (both from user and
> developer sides) to create a 'native' import-csv-into-gnucash feature,
> preferably something where you can map fields of your csv file to
> gnucash fields, and perhaps even save the mapping into some sort of
> 'template' so that you can easily re-use the mapping when importing
> the next batch from your bank ?

I am not sure that gnucash is the right place for this.
You may enhance the existing CSV-plugin in jGnucashLib where you have
scripting and an infrastructure ment for bulk-imports at your
disposal.
Using eclipse and the eclipse-ve -plugin it should be possible to
create a dialog to map csv-fields to their interpretation
in a few hours and make it perfect with saving of named schemas
(you are unlikely to import only once.) in a few days.

Marcus