GnuCash reports via eguile - probably not

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Wed Jan 21 12:47:04 EST 2009

Chris Dennis <cgdennis at btinternet.com> writes:

> I've boiled the problem down to this:
>
> ----
> ;#! /usr/bin/guile
> (define fred "This is Fred")
> (define (foo bar)
>    (display fred) (newline) (display bar) (newline)
>    (display "and now via eval-string...") (newline)
>    (let ((string1 "(display fred) (newline) (display bar) (newline)"))
>      (eval-string string1)))
> (foo "Actual parameter")
> ----
> gives this output:
> ----
> This is Fred
> Actual parameter
> and now via eval-string...
> This is Fred
> ERROR: Unbound variable: bar
> ----
>
> So the global variable 'fred' does exist in the eval-string environment,
> but the parameter 'bar' doesn't (or rather its value isn't available).
>
> Can any Guile/Scheme experts help?

Hmm....

That is an interesting conundrum.  Unfortunately my guile/scheme
foo isn't strong enough..

I would think you could use something like "local-eval" to do it,
but I don't know how to get the string into a form where you could
perform the local evaluation.