OFX import

David Reiser dbreiser at earthlink.net
Mon Jul 6 23:47:47 EDT 2009

On Jul 6, 2009, at 11:22 PM, Brad Haack wrote:

> I didn't get any response on the user list, so I'm posting it here
> also
>
> I turned off bayesian matching & it doesn't seem to make any
> difference
>
> GC 2.2.6
>

> I'm trying to import investment dividends and transactions with the
> OFX
> import feature.   The Generic Import Transaction Matcher doesn't
> give me
> any option to pick what accounts to use, doesn't show me what accounts
> it's going to use, and often uses the wrong accounts.  What am I doing
> wrong?

An OFX file is defined by specification to contain transactions from
only one account. The ofx tag <ACCTID> (or very similar) identifies
the account for one side of every transaction in the file. If you have
ever imported an ofx file containing the same <ACCTID>, then you have
already told gnucash what account is associated with the split common
to all transactions in the file. Gnucash will not ask a second time if
it already has an internal account match for a given <ACCTID> from an
ofx file.

Also, the first time you import a dividend transaction for a security,
gnucash asks you to identify an income account associated with a given
stock/mutual fund. You have to be attentive, because the dialog
details look a lot like other similar dialogs, and I find it too easy
to pick the wrong account instead of an income account. Once you have
specified an income account associated with a stock, gnucash won't ask
you again (you already told it where the dividend income belongs...).

I suspect that part of the reason it isn't asking you for accounts is
that you told it something in previous imports. If you told it
something that is incorrect, fixing it is a challenge since there
isn't a user interface for those 'settings'. I think you're looking at
having to edit the raw xml data, but work with a copy and be very
careful.

Dave
--
David Reiser