Requirements for 2.4.0

Chris Dennis cgdennis at btinternet.com
Wed Jul 8 12:02:51 EDT 2009

Phil Longstaff wrote:
> Up until now, I've been acting as the release engineer for unstable
> 2.3.X releases leading to a stable 2.4.0 sometime in late August or
> September.  However, we have not really nailed down the functionality
> that will be available, so I want to try to do that.
>
> For #3 (eguile): * I'd like to see Chris Dennis' new invoice/template
> replace the current invoice.  I think this would give users better
> ability to modify the invoice format.  Note that there is a bug
> (can't find it right now) complaining that a new installation
> overwrites invoice customization, so if a way could be found to split
> the new invoice into a customization part which is not touched and a
> template part, that would be great.

The 'tax invoice' report is already split into a part that interfaces
with the rest of Gnucash in the same way as traditional reports and has
most of the logic, and the eguile template which contains HTML with
embedded code.

Changing the template part is much easier (IMO) than changing the old
invoice report -- users can toy with HTML and CSS to make it look pretty
  -- they just have to be careful not to break anything.  The HTML and
Scheme code can get quite tangled very quickly.

What is required is
a) more testing of the tax invoice report to check that it does payments
and taxes and discounts and currencies etc. correctly.
b) some expert inspection of the code (I'm a seasoned programmer, but
new to Scheme and Gnucash).  There are functions that could/should be
split out into separate modules (although that could wait until more
eguile-replaced reports are written and a set of generally useful
routines emerges).

cheers

Chris
Chris Dennis                                  cgdennis at btinternet.com