GnuCash OSX

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Sat Jul 11 13:41:19 EDT 2009

gn
On Jul 5, 2009, at 5:35 PM, John Ralls wrote:

> We're really close to being able to have a drag-and-drop .dmg. I
> just need to patch and test dbus and we should be there.
>
> Regards,
> John Ralls

Well, that's wrong, I'm afraid. I got dbus beaten into submission only
to find that GConf has hardcoded paths. This morning I had the bright
idea to grep for the $prefix string in the libraries in the bundle
(which is everything recursively depended upon by Gnucash) and see how
much else has hard-coded paths that would need to be rejiggered to
work from inside the bundle. It turns out to be just about everything.
Some of them (many?) might be false alarms... but they'll all have to
be reviewed, and many will need to be patched. This isn't going to
happen for a 2.4 release, if I'm the only one to do it, and it may be
the wrong approach anyway.

Anyway, it's a bigger problem than just Gnucash, so I'm going to take
it over to gtk-dev.

In the meantime, we can make an mpkg that the Installer can use to
install the built Gnome environment with all of the hard-coded
dependencies into perhaps /usr/local/gtk and the GnuCash.app bundle
with everything pointing there. Does that sound feasible from your side?

Regards,
John Ralls