Compiling errors on F11 64-bit; question on sending in patch files

J. Alex Aycinena alex.aycinena at gmail.com
Sun Jul 19 15:12:33 EDT 2009

I just updated my system from Fedora 10, 32 bit, to Fedora 11, 64 bit,
and a compile that used to work now doesn't. On Fedora 11, with
revision 18217, with the following configure:

	./configure --prefix=/opt/gnucash-svn/gnucash-clean --enable-debug
--enable-doxygen  --enable-error-on-warning
--enable-compile-warnings=yes --enable-dbi --enable-webkit;

followed by make, I get:

make[5]: Entering directory
`/home/gnucash-dev/svncheckouts/gnucash-clean-build/src/libqof/qof'
cc1: warnings being treated as errors
/home/gnucash-dev/svncheckouts/gnucash-clean/src/libqof/qof/gnc-date.c:
In function ‘dateSeparator’:
/home/gnucash-dev/svncheckouts/gnucash-clean/src/libqof/qof/gnc-date.c:831:
error: pointer targets in passing argument 1 of ‘qof_strftime’ differ
in signedness
/home/gnucash-dev/svncheckouts/gnucash-clean/src/libqof/qof/gnc-date.h:362:
note: expected ‘gchar *’ but argument is of type ‘unsigned char *’

If I change configure to "--disable-error-on-warning " and
"--enable-compile-warnings=no" it builds and runs fine.

I was able to get the make to work with the original configure by
putting in casts in the source to get past this warning, and then
subsequently similar ones in another 23 source files. The resulting
build seems to work OK, although I didn't thoroughly test it.

My question to the developers is this: is putting in casts like this
an appropriate and adequate way to deal with this? If so, I can send
in patch files for the 24 source files I patched to get the compile to
work. Please let me know if this OK or if further work is needed.

Thanks,

Alex