gnucash crashing on DB error

Mark Johnson mrj001 at shaw.ca
Thu Jul 23 00:35:04 EDT 2009

Brian Amos wrote:
> Gnucash seems to be crashing whenever the database returns an error, such as
> incorrect password, or DB unavailable.  I am able to log what gnucash is
> sending to the DBI, is there a way to log what's going on inside the DBI?
> Hopefully the DBI is returning error codes that gnucash should handle,
> instead of crashing.
>
> I'm using 2.3.2 on winXP with postgres DB.
>
> Brian Amos

This is covered in Section 18.7 of the PostgreSql manual.  Here's a diff
I used for postgresql.conf to monitor all statements sent to the database:
326,328c326,328
< #log_checkpoints = off
< #log_connections = off
< #log_disconnections = off
---
 > #log_checkpoints = on
 > log_connections = on
 > log_disconnections = on
331c331
< #log_line_prefix = ''            # special values:
---
 > log_line_prefix = '<%u-%d> '            # special values:
350c350
< #log_statement = 'none'            # none, ddl, mod, all
---
 > log_statement = 'all'            # none, ddl, mod, all

It should get you everything sent to the DB (from the perspective of the
db rather than gnucash).  You should also see any statements getting an
error.  I used the above changes to postgresql.conf to examine what some
early versions of the db backend were sending to postgresql.

Mark