how do you run gnucash 2.3 on a mac?

David Reiser dbreiser at earthlink.net
Tue Jun 2 15:11:02 EDT 2009

On Jun 2, 2009, at 2:35 PM, Reuben Cummings wrote:

> Hi, can someone please tell me how to go about installing gnucash 2.3
> on a mac? I've looked online but the sources all seem too old to be
> useful for 2.3. Do I have to compile the source or can I do it through
> Macports and if yes to either of these, what steps should I take?
> Thanks!
>
> Intel Mac OSX 10.5.6
> Macports Version: 1.710
>
> - Reuben

There is a Macports port called gnucash-devel that appears to be
intended for such attempts. However, the last update to that port was
7 months ago, before the database backend items were anywhere near as
far as they are now. The gnucash-devel portfile would need some  work
to build 2.3.0. There are two sections in the file that can be used:
one that points to svn, and the other that points to the 2.3.x
tarballs. Now that there is a 2.3.0 tarball, you might get gnucash-
devel to work by commenting out the svn info, uncommenting the tarball
retrieval section, modifying config-params to enable libdbi stuff, and
modifying the dependencies to make sure the appropriate database,
libdbi drivers, and webkit are available.

I'm not in a position to try this soon. A while back I tried to have
both fink and macports installed simultaneously, but I screwed
something up and got them intertwined. Since then I've stuck to fink.
I know it's possible to run both, but right now I don't have time to
go there.

Dave
--
David Reiser