GnuCash OSX

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Sat Jun 13 11:29:03 EDT 2009

John,

John Ralls <jralls at ceridwen.us> writes:

> On Jun 11, 2009, at 11:26 AM, Derek Atkins wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I noticed that you've done a lot of work on a semi-standalone
>> GnuCash application for OSX.  Could you perhaps come over to
>> gnucash-
>> devel or the #gnucash irc channel so we can talk about setting up an
>> OSX Build Server?  I'd like to work with you to integrate your osx
>> work into the GnuCash source tree and then we can start to produce
>> daily builds!
>>
>> Of course, we'd need to try to solve the gconf/glade/guile
>> hardcoded-
>> path issue somehow..
>>
>> Are you interested??
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> -derek
>
> Hello.
>
> I'm flattered, and interested. It didn't even occur to me that you
> guys would be interested in making GnuCash portable to OSX.

Absolutely!!  There's a huge call for that, and I personally would
love to see it happen (even though I don't personally use OSX).

[snip]
> I'm presently have 3 patches to gnucash itself:
> - Remove AC_CHECK_HEADERS of X11/Xlib.h

Note that this is needed on Win32 as well, so we already have to
have some code in there to deal with this.

> - Modify the gnucash.in batch file template to set up the environment
> correctly and start Dbus

What about looking for glade files?
But yes, this is definitely going to be an issue.

> - Incorporate the gnucash menus into the Mac menubar.

Sounds like a reasonable thing..

> Only one of them (the last) is ready to go, but the other two only
> need to be guarded so that they work only when building against gtk-
> quartz.

* nods *

> I have written but not yet tested a patch to binreloc.c which should
> allow binreloc to work correctly with a mac application bundle. I've
> looked at dbus, and I see that its hardcoded path (to the machine-id
> file) can be easily fixed up to look in the bundle as well.

cool.

> Are there more hard-coded paths that I don't yet know about?

Maybe??  I'm not 100% sure how the win32 port works, but it definitely
is 'portable' to some extent.

> Derek, you mention daily builds. Do you have a mac available in your
> build farm?

I do.  Running 10.4.8.

> Hmm, the other thing that you should be aware of is that the gtk-osx-
> build setup doesn't at present do universal binaries. Dunno if that
> matters.

Honestly, I dont think it matters.  I think Intel-Only is fine.

If someone wants a PPC version they can use our build scripts to build
it themselves.