Register rewrite

Chris Shoemaker c.shoemaker at cox.net
Mon Mar 2 08:50:37 EST 2009

On Sun, Mar 01, 2009 at 01:35:30PM -0800, Charles Day wrote:
> Could someone enlighten me as to the state of the register rewrite, or point
> me to some kind of "readme" about it? I would like to know what the approach
> was, where things left off, etc.
> I had a quick look at the register-rewrite branch. My first impression is
> that the original register code has not been changed at all and that some
> kind of new stuff based on GtkTreeView was being worked on. Is it the
> intention to abandon a GUI-independent register design for a Gtk+ dependent
> version?

Yes, exactly.  At the time, it was somewhat of a feasibility study, as
GtkTreeViews were still a little new and there weren't too many
examples of good implementations that used 1000s+ of entries.
These days, it's not really a question of the quality of the gtk+ bits.

I haven't had the time to work on it (or any other part of GnuCash)
for quite a while now.  IIRC, last time I worked on it, I got copy and
pasting of transactions working, which was pretty low on my priority
list, so I think it's probably usable, though not polished.

-chris