Domain Model for GNUCash

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Mon Mar 9 11:16:56 EDT 2009

Hi,

Please remember to CC gnucash-devel on all replies using your
mailer's Reply-to-list or Reply-All functionality.

Mike King <mikeking at mikekingcourses.com> writes:

> Hi Derek,
>
> Thanks for your reply.
>
> If there is no domain model as such, then I would create an entity model. The
> only difference is that one uses entities instead of classes. All other
> structure is the same.
>
> Once such a model is created to represent all the persistent data, one can
> infer the required programatic behaviour in great detail, without seeing the
> programs, and one can also forward engineer a relational db design from it.

No need to forward-engineer it; there's already a relational db
design in trunk as part of the DBI backend work already in SVN.

> I use this approach as an essential base even if programming in COBOL, or
> assembler, or Lisp etc

COBOL?   Ewww!

> i.e. whatever programming language one uses, the logic of the program will be
> largely constrained by the data structures and it therefore helps to know
> these.
>
> So thanks for your comment. If I replace domain model by entity model, does
> this trigger any ideas?

Nope.  We have no graphical represenation of the data object
relationships.  At least none that I know of offhand.

> I have just had a look at the CASE tool (Enterprise Architect) that I am
> using, and it supports the reverse engineering from C to UML class diagrams,
> so I shall try to download the C source code and create the model from tlhat.
> Can I find the C source on subversion?

You're certainly welcome to do so.

> Hope it works.

-derek