New Splash Screen Graphic

Micha Lenk micha at lenk.info
Sun Mar 15 15:09:19 EDT 2009

Hi Tynan,

Raffael Luthiger wrote:
> Since you are releasing artwork and not source code I think it is better
> to go for a creative commons license. [1] (You can use the GPL too)

For independent artwork I would generally agree. But...

> You can find a short form here [2] and after filling it out it tells you
> what creative commons license is the best for you to use.
>
> [1] http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#GPLOtherThanSoftware
> [2] http://creativecommons.org/license/
>
> But since you do not really care you can let the main developers chose
> as well.

Since Gnucash is licensed under GPL you should make sure to choose a
license that is at least *compatible* with the GPL. Please note that the
Free Software Foundation considers neither of the Creative Commons
licenses to be compatible with GPL (see [3]). So distributing some
graphics under CC license together with Gnucash under GPL might impose
major legal headaches...

[3] http://www.fsf.org/licensing/licenses/index_html

Please choose the GPL or let the user a choice between for instance GPL
and a proper CC license.

... just my 2¢.

Regards
  Micha