API or Perl module / SQL access?

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Mon Mar 30 11:18:11 EDT 2009

Hi,

Sorry it's taken so long to get back to you, but this message got
stuck in the mail server and didn't get released until a server
migration yesterday...

"Charles, Tony (Exchange)" <Tony.Charles at bear.com> writes:

> Hi, I'm thinking of possibly using gnucash, but I'd like to automate certain things.
>
> Is there a Perl module that can put account entries directly into the underlying gnucash database?
>
> If so, is there a guide or document related to this kind of thing? For example, how can I learn about which SQL tables to update?
>
> Or, must one use the GUI to interact with gnucash?
>
> Or maybe I'm jumping the gun because the data is still an XML file?

It is possible to automate these kinds of functions, but not with
PERL.  We have Scheme wrappers which are fairly complete, and we have
someone working on Python wrappers (which are not yet complete).

Hope this helps.