Reports

Phil Longstaff plongstaff at rogers.com
Mon May 4 19:36:59 EDT 2009

I've been thinking about how reports are structured and created.  I'm not an
accountant, but I have worked in a financial office.  The accounting package had
some interesting features to support report creation, and I'd like to see some
of the adopted for gnucash:

1) Row structure was specified separately from column structure.  There were
two basic row structure domains: asset/balance sheet structures and
income/expense/profit structures.  The structure allows you to insert
headings/subtotals and accounts.
2) To create a report, you take a row structure and then specify columns for
different dates.

As an example, I can set up how I want my income statement structured as far
as what headings/accounts/subtotals there.  I can then set up a number of
columns (e.g. monthly, quarterly, ...).  I can think of reasons for setting up
a report row structure differently than just the normal account hierarchy (I
might want a report putting certain accounts in non-discretionary and
discretionary subtotals which I might not want to include in the hierarchy.

Does this fit into the (potential) new report structure of html with embedded
scheme?

Phil