finance-quote issue

Rainer Dorsch rdorsch at web.de
Tue May 5 10:01:18 EDT 2009

Am Sonntag, 3. Mai 2009 schrieb David Reiser:
> On May 2, 2009, at 6:53 PM, David Reiser wrote:
> > On May 2, 2009, at 5:09 PM, Rainer Dorsch wrote:
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> I have an issue with finance-quote. When I do an "Get Quotes" in
> >> the price
> >> editor of gnucash 2.2.8, I get
> >>
> >> Unable to retrieve quotes for these items:
> >> FUND:LYX0AG
> >> Continue using only the good quotes?
> >>
> >> But when I run
> >>
> >> $ /opt/gnucash-2.2.8/bin/gnc-fq-dump VWD LYX0AG
> >> Finance::Quote fields Gnucash uses:
> >>   symbol: LYX0AG               <=== required
> >>     date: 05/02/2009           <=== required
> >> currency: EUR                  <=== required
> >>     last: 68.06                <=\
> >>      nav:                      <=== one of these
> >>    price: 68.06                <=/
> >> timezone:                      <=== optional
> >> $
> >>
> >> which seems ok.
> >>
> >> Any ideas why gnucash could refuse to update the fund prices?
> >
> > gnc-fq-dump -v VWD LYX0AG
> > Finance::Quote fields Gnucash uses:
> >    symbol: LYX0AG               <=== required
> >      date: 05/03/2009           <=== required
> >  currency: EUR                  <=== required
> >      last: 68.06                <=\
> >       nav:                      <=== one of these
> >     price: 68.06                <=/
> >  timezone:                      <=== optional
> >
> > All fields returned by Finance::Quote for stock LYX0AG
> >
> > stock           field  value
> > -----           -----  -----
> > LYX0AG       currency: EUR
> > LYX0AG           date: 05/03/2009
> > LYX0AG       errormsg:
> > LYX0AG        isodate: 2009-05-03
> > LYX0AG           last: 68.06
> > LYX0AG           name: Lyxor MSCI World FCP
> > LYX0AG          price: 68.06
> > LYX0AG         source: VWD
> > LYX0AG        success: 1
> > LYX0AG         symbol: LYX0AG
> > LYX0AG           time: 30.04.09
> >

> > Looks like VWD changed their site again, or is otherwise sending
> > what looks like a date in the time field. Gnucash wants a fully
> > qualified date+time in order to accept the data. The time being sent
> > by VWD is not valid.
>
> Hmm. Looks like a finance::quote bug. There's a data chunk that the
> VWD site html describes as "datum" that, at least over the weekend is
> returning a date. But the finance::quote code is stuffing it into the
> $time field.  I'd have to see a VWD quote taking place during active
> trading hours to see if  datum holds a time then. I don't see anything
> else that looks like a timestamp for the quote itself. You get a date
> and time that the quote is retrieved, but I'm not seeing the time
> associated with the stock value.

Hi Dave,

thanks for finding that issue. I checked during trading hours finance::quote
works:

rd at blackbox:~$ /opt/gnucash-2.2.8/bin/gnc-fq-dump -v VWD LYX0AG
Finance::Quote fields Gnucash uses:
    symbol: LYX0AG               <=== required
      date: 05/05/2009           <=== required
  currency: EUR                  <=== required
      last: 70.09                <=\
       nav:                      <=== one of these
     price: 70.09                <=/
  timezone:                      <=== optional

All fields returned by Finance::Quote for stock LYX0AG

stock           field  value
-----           -----  -----
LYX0AG       currency: EUR
LYX0AG           date: 05/05/2009
LYX0AG       errormsg:
LYX0AG        isodate: 2009-05-05
LYX0AG           last: 70.09
LYX0AG           name: Lyxor MSCI World FCP
LYX0AG          price: 70.09
LYX0AG         source: VWD
LYX0AG        success: 1
LYX0AG         symbol: LYX0AG
LYX0AG           time: 09:05:20

rd at blackbox:~$

This makes Gnucash during trading hours working which confirms you analysis
entirely.

Is there an easy fix for making finance::quote working during non-trading
hours?

Thanks,
Rainer

--
Rainer Dorsch
Lärchenstr. 6
email: rdorsch at web.de
jabber: rdorsch at jabber.org
GPG Fingerprint: 5966 C54C 2B3C 42CC 1F4F  8F59 E3A8 C538 7519 141E
Full GPG key: http://pgp.mit.edu/