Gnucash 2.3.0 released

Kim_Wood kim.wood at bigpond.net.au
Mon May 18 16:53:37 EDT 2009

Thanks Derek,

That would be really helpful.  I am a long-term GNUCash user, and I am very
happy to test builds, but not that interested in building frankly.

Regards,

Kim

Derek Atkins wrote:

> [...]
>>>
>>> WARNING WARNING WARNING - Make sure you make backups of any files used
>>> in
>>> testing versions of GnuCash in the 2.3.x series. Although the developers
>>> go to
>>> great lengths to ensure that no data will be lost we cannot guarentee
>>> that
>>> your data will not be affected if for some reason GnuCash crashes in
>>> testing
>>> these releases.
>>>
>>> PLEASE TEST TEST AND TEST SOME MORE any and all features important to
>>> you.
>>> Then post any bugs you find to bugzilla
>>>
>>> 	Getting GnuCash
>>>
>>> GnuCash 2.3.0 can be downloaded from gnucash.org.  It is available as
>>> source code.
>>>
>>> To install GnuCash, users will need Gnome 2, guile, and slib.  Neither
>>> the
>>> currently used swig nor the previously used g-wrap packages are needed
>>> anymore
>>> when compiling from tarball or when installing a binary.
>>>
>>> * http://www.gnucash.org/pub/gnucash/sources/unstable/2.3.x
>>>
>>> cd401475075b3b7f490444ff45569b5a  gnucash-2.3.0.tar.bz2
>>> afa22b610ef38cf0a367eeb17b74a292  gnucash-2.3.0.tar.gz
>>> 60bc6ab7637562274edd6850ff0d82a1  webkit-1.1.5-win32.zip
>>>
>>> 	Major changes in this release include;
>>>
>>> * In addition to the XML backend, Gnucash can now use a SQLite3, MySQL
>>> or
>>> PostgreSQL database tostore the data. This is a new implementation using
>>> libdbi. It supports all features including the business features.  In
>>> order to
>>> build with this, add --enable-dbi to the configure command.  In addition
>>> to the
>>> libdbi-dev package for your distribution, you will also need the
>>> appropriate
>>> DBD (libdbi driver) package for sqlite3, mysql or postgresql.
>>> * In addition to the current GtkHTML HTML engine used to display reports
>>> and
>>> graphs, Gnucash canuse WebKit. WebKit is the engine used by Google
>>> Chrome
>>> on
>>> Windows and Safari on Apple.  In order to build with this, add
>>> --enable-webkit
>>> to the configure command.  You will need an appropriate webkit-dev
>>> package.  On
>>> win32, you will need to download the webkit-1.1.5-win32.zip file from
>>> the
>>> source repository and put it into the downloads directory of your
>>> gnucash
>>> build area.
>>> * Updated to AqBanking 3 on Win32.
>>>
>>> 	Caveats for Testers
>>>
>>> * Any 2.3.x version might crash unexpectedly at any point during
>>> runtime.
>>> If
>>> you test some serious work in a 2.3.x release and are using the XML file
>>> backend for data storage, make sure you hit "Save" after every
>>> workstep.  If you are using the SQL backend, this is not required as
>>> every
>>> change is saved immediately to the database.
>>> * The documentation has had screenshots updated, however, many help
>>> texts
>>> usually only refers to the 1.8.x series. Everyone is invited to help
>>> improve
>>> the documentation; see http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Development on how
>>> get
>>> involved.
>>>
>>> 	How can you help?
>>>
>>> * Testing: Test it and help us discover all bugs that might show up in
>>> there.
>>> Please enter each and every bug into bugzilla.
>>> * Translating: The new release comes with some new translation strings.
>>> If
>>> you consider contributing a translation, we invite you to test this
>>> release
>>> already. A string freeze will be announced in one of the later 2.3.x