Website and download confusion

Tim M tim at filmchicago.org
Wed Nov 11 11:27:30 EST 2009

I think you should simply add a section with download links for the stable
version below the Features section of the page, just above News.  The news
is far more prominent than the sidebar download links, plus the sidebar
links take the user to the Sourceforge page which shows the Mac 2.3.7 .dmg
installer as the 'latest file' and the 2.2.9 stable release has no
prominence whatsoever on the page.

Having the links front and center would make it very obvious for the average
computer user what they should download to install GnuCash.  The average
user isn't going to understand to look for the "stable" versus unstable
installers, so if they are not direct accordingly they will just pick up
whatever is the newest version and most accessible/easy to find.  Ideally,
something like the following I think would make it easier for users to find
the correct stable installer for their OS, inserted between the News and
Feature Highlights sections of the home page:

"
<h2>Download GnuCash</h2>

for your operating system below.</p>

<ul>
<li>GnuCash 2.7.9 for <a href="
http://sourceforge.net/projects/gnucash/files/gnucash%20(stable)/2.2.9/gnucash-2.2.9-setup.exe/download">Microsoft
Windows XP/Vista</a></li>
<li>GnuCash 2.7.9 for Mac OS X <a href="
http://sourceforge.net/projects/gnucash/files/gnucash%20(stable)/2.2.9/Gnucash-Intel-2.2.9.4.dmg/download">Intel</a>
http://voxel.dl.sourceforge.net/project/gnucash/gnucash%20(stable)/2.2.9/Gnucash%20OSX%20Readme.html
">Readme</a></li>
<li>GnuCash 2.7.9 for <a href="
http://sourceforge.net/projects/gnucash/files/gnucash%20(stable)/2.2.9/gnucash-2.2.9.tar.bz2/download
">Linux</a></li>
<li><a href="
http://sourceforge.net/projects/gnucash/files/gnucash%20(stable)/2.2.9/">View
all GnuCash 2.7.9 downloads</a></li>
</ul>

under the Office category.</p>

links in the side menu, or from the News articles below.  Unstable releases
are not intended for production use.  Unstable releases should be used for
testing purposes only.</p>
"

My 2 cents,
-Tim M