Website download section

tim at filmchicago.org tim at filmchicago.org
Thu Nov 12 10:32:43 EST 2009

Looks nice!

-----Original Message-----
From: Geert Janssens <janssens-geert at telenet.be>
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2009 16:18:51
To: <gnucash-devel at gnucash.org>
Subject: Website download section

I have made some progress with my proposals.

To see the intermediate result, surf to:
http://www.kobaltwit.be/gnucash/index.phtml
(Just ignore the php safe mode warnings. They are caused by my hosting
provider but not relevant for the changes and will not appear on the official
GnuCash website.)

What I did so far:
* Added a new page for downloading. While trying to organize all the different
download mechanisms I came to the conclusion there are too many to fit on the
start page. So instead I have created a new page where all the possible
download/installation options are grouped together. This page has
  - direct one-click links to the installers we have available,
  - information on how to install on linux using the native install tools
  - links to the source files
  - general links to the sourceforge download page (for those that want to
download something not explicitly listed on this new page)
These links are grouped in stable and unstable, with a small introduction.

* On the start page, I added a highly visible floating box with download links
for GnuCash. Windows and MacOS X users can download the latest stable release
installer for their platform with a single click. For all other downloads, I
refer to the newly added download page.

* In the navigation menu, I removed the separate download options and instead
the Download item itself is now a link to the download page. I figured it
didn't make much sense to duplicate this information again.

* PACKAGE MAINTAINERS, this bit is important for you. To minimize the amount
of changes required when a new download is available (either a new stable
release or in case of MacOS X a new stable subrelease), I have extracted the
version information into a separate file: externals/global_params.php. This
file contains a number of php variable declarations that are used extensively
on the download page and in the download section on the startpage. Whenever a
new GnuCash is released, please update the relevant variable in this file.

What I have not done yet:
* Fix the release news items
* Translations. The new elements are gettextized though, so ready to be
translated. I prefer to wait with this until I have had some feedback on the
actual texts. They may still change.

Some questions/remarks:
* General: please have a look at http://www.kobaltwit.be/gnucash/phtml and
give your feedback (again: just ignore the php safe mode warnings).
* I'm not a native English speaker (Dutch is my mother tongue), so my phrasing
and choice of words may be suboptimal. Suggestions for improvements are
welcome.
* The original site had links to a USA and a European sourcecode-only "mirror"
(for the lack of a better word). I have added those to the source code section
on the download page, but not quite as they were before. I have added direct
links to the source tarball for the latest stable release, instead of showing
the full directory listing. Is such a directory listing still required ? I
could add it to the "Other" section at the end of the page. Note that the
European mirror still has issues in that case as I mentioned in a previous
mail.
* As for generating a patchset later on: I have added a new page, a new php
script and two new icons and I have changed two existing files. What is the
best way to deliver this to someone with svn access ? svn diff doesn't seem to
handle binary files.
* I have added short descriptions on how to install GnuCash for a number of
Linux distributions via their native software installer tools. The ones that
are there are those I use myself (plus the line Tim provided for Ubuntu).
There are still some popular distros missing like openSUSE, Kubuntu, Gentoo,
Debian,... I don't know about the installer tools in those distros. If anyone
wants to add a line for another distro, just let me know.

Geert