Website download section

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Sat Nov 14 22:58:53 EST 2009

On Nov 14, 2009, at 7:35 PM, Derek Atkins wrote:

> Why do we have separate per-release Readme files?   I can understand a
> different readme for 2.2 vs. 2.3, and a CHANGELOG per release, but
> why a
> full separate readme per package?  That seems overkill to me.

Because Gnucash on OSX is neither completely stable nor feature
complete (even 2.2.9), and being a binary, I've made configuration
choices (e.g., Webkit vs. GtkHtml). What OS versions are supported,
what features are missing, what problems are known, and what
configuration choices I've made are different for each version (and
build -- I've done 7 successive builds of 2.2.9, renumbering 4 of
them, as I've fixed bugs in the OSX build), and it's important that
users be informed of that upfront.

The readme files need to be on SF next to the downloads. Once Geert's
new front page is in place, they can be on the gnucash.org website as
well. Until then, the website doesn't even acknowledge that OSX
downloads are available. (Before you ask why not, it's because I took
a look at changing the page and decided that it would take too long to
understand how to change it without blowing something up that I set it
aside and went back to working on Gtk-OSX infrastructure, which I
think is more important. The pointer to the downloads is on the MacOSX
Quartz wiki page.)

Regards,
John Ralls