Website download section: location of Mac OS X Readme

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Mon Nov 16 10:17:39 EST 2009

On Nov 16, 2009, at 5:19 AM, Geert Janssens wrote:

> Question 2. Where to fetch the Mac OS X Readme file ?
>
> This file is currently hosted on sourceforge and the www.gnucash.org
> website
> links to it there. However, due to the sourceforge website works, it
> will
> first show a download page (with commercials) before actually
> fetching the
> file. For a simple readme, this is not nice.
>
> By the way, the file is currently called Readme, but in my opinion the
> contents could also be described as "Additional release notes for
> MacOS X" and
> could be treated that way while finding a proper long-term solution
> for them.
>
> Different solutions I see:
> * Leave it as is, just live with the redirect.
> * Setup a "Release notes" section in wiki, store all release relevant
> information (release notes, changelog, readmes) there and link
> there. Also
> replace the SF Readme with a short message that points to the proper
> wiki
> page.
> * Add a copy of these files in htdocs and link to them there.
> * Post the readme file as a news item whenever a new MacOS X build is
> available.

I can live with any of those options as long as the result is easy for
the impatient new user to find and read the file.

Yes, it's true that the file is "additional release notes", but users
generally don't read release notes, and I want the users to read this
so that they know what to expect.

Regards,
John Ralls