htdocs patch: downloads & news

Geert Janssens janssens-geert at telenet.be
Tue Nov 17 12:54:24 EST 2009

Attached you will find a patch (a tarball actually) that contains all the
changed files for my website modifications.

In summary, it
* adds a highly visible download block on the front page
* adds a download page for all other downloads
* reworks the news pages to make it more obvious the 2.3.x builds are
  development builds.
* includes the same download links in the news pages as on the downloads page
  for consistency

I have chosen not to install the Mac OS X Readme files on www.gnucash.org for
now. The main reason is the extra actions that have to be taken and that tend
to be forgotten (as cstim also pointed out regarding the release notes). I
will probably volunteer to redo the website in a few months, so I'd figured
the current Readme file solution is "good enough" until then.

Instructions for the htdocs maintainer: just untar the tarball over the htdocs
base directory. I have not deleted any files, only added or modified.

Instructions for the release maintainers: whenever a new stable or unstable
release is pushed, this new version number should be stored in the file
externals/global_params.php.
There are a few variables there. For a stable/unstable new release, one would
typically update $latest_stable or $latest_unstable.
In case there are sub release numbers (such as the Mac OS X build), these are
added in the actual binary filename ($latest_stable_mac_intel or
$latest_stable_mac_ppc).

If there are any questions, just ask...

Geert