Win32: The binary pgsql package depends on MSVCR71.dll which we must not depend upon

Martin Preuss aquamaniac at gmx.de
Sat Oct 3 19:00:35 EDT 2009

Hi,

On Samstag, 3. Oktober 2009, Christian Stimming wrote:
> Am Samstag, 3. Oktober 2009 17:53 schrieb Martin Preuss:
[...]
> That's right - I hope the MSVC*.dll better refuse to be loaded into the
> same process space. In this particular case the problem "only" is to ship
[...]

I don't think so... I'm not a WIN32 wizard but from my experience Windows
doesn't know that MSVC123.dll basically provides the same API as e.g.
MSVC987.dll. Since the version number is part of the dll name and WIN32
doesn't know about API versioning like the Linux loader does I believe Windows
will just load any additional MSVCxyz.dll and later crash the application if
there is a symbol clash (which will most likely appear since that particular
API didn't change that much throughout the years).

I think your approach of compiling the pgsql package yourself is the most
promising one... Even more so if using MinGW/MSYS/GCC instead of those MS
compilers ;-)

Regards
Martin

--
"Things are only impossible until they're not"

Martin Preuss - http://www2.aquamaniac.de/
AqBanking - http://www.aqbanking.de/
LibChipcard - http://www.libchipcard.de/