Some thoughts and questions about iso-4217-currencies.*

Herbert Thoma herbert.thoma at iis.fraunhofer.de
Tue Oct 20 04:31:41 EDT 2009

Frank H. Ellenberger schrieb:
> b) Until now I added a comment to the replaced currency, but I think at least,
> I could add a flag expired or still_in_use, what fits better from the logic?

I think we once said (may be in another context) that the default value
of a boolean option should be FALSE, so I would argue for "expired" on the
basis that most currencies in the list will be still in use.

> - There was a Euro converter in 1.x, which until now was not ported. But, what
> is the meaning of src/app-utils/gnc-euro.c? Is it in use? If yes, where?
> If I understood it right, currencies used there, must still be defined in
> iso-4217-currencies?

Well I was responsible for this code (gnc-euro.c, not the Euro converter, which
was done by Christian Stimming). gnc-euro.c does the correct Euro conversion
with proper rounding as defined by the European Central Bank. I was most useful
in the time between 1999 and 2001 when you could have accounts in EUR and
e.g DEM. In the account windows the status line will show you the value of a
DEM account in EUR and in the account tree window you could have a column
with the EUR value of your DEM accounts. This functionality still works and
tracks my stash of retained DEM coins quite nicely.

 Herbert.
--
Herbert Thoma
Dipl.-Ing., MBA