Bug 599502 'Close Book' Tool Calculates Incorrectly

Robin Chattopadhyay robinraymn at gmail.com
Sat Oct 24 14:46:46 EDT 2009

I made a cursory search through Bugzilla and didn't find anything that
described my experience:

I have transactions with Post Dates between 3/31/02 and present. I am

attempting to use the Close Book tool with an effective date of 12/31/2002. All
of the transactions have enter dates 6/13/09 or later.

After the process completes, the entries created are not calculated correctly.

For each Income or Expense account, one of three things happens:
1) The account zeros out all of the 2002 transactions and the balance on 1/1/03
is zero.
2) The account zeros out ALL of the transactions, the closing transaction is

dated 12/31/02, but a negative balance is created and the account balance
doesn't go to zero until the very last transaction.
3) Neither 1 nor 2. The closing entry is all over the board, I can't figure out

from looking at the data how that closing amount was calculated.

This was in 2.3.5 r18284.