New database backend and multi-user

Geert Janssens janssens-geert at telenet.be
Mon Sep 7 10:19:12 EDT 2009

Thanks for the info. I have added some more comments inside your replies.

From what I understood by following the dev list, converting gnucash to a true
db based application is at best a long-term goal. That would solve the multi-
user aspects automatically, as the consistency in concurrent access would be
guaranteed by the db engine.

However, gnucash is far from there yet. So the alternative seems to be: make
sure there's only one user accessing the db at any one time. With xml files
this was handled with a lock file. Is something similar implemented in the db
backends ? I mean, if one person is running gnucash a postgres backed book,
and another person tries to start gnucash with the same postgres backed book,
will he get the "This book seems to be open by another person" dialog box ?
That would be sufficient for now.

Regards,

Geert