Bugs in gnucash bugzilla which aren't gnucash bugs

Phil Longstaff plongstaff at rogers.com
Tue Sep 8 10:36:17 EDT 2009

At another company I worked at, if a bug was found while using our product, it was entered in our database.  Made sense, since it was a flaw in what we presented to the world.  If, after analysis, we found that it was really a bug in an external dependency, we cloned the original bug to the dependency's database, and put our bug in a "wait for dependency" state.

There are a number of bugs in the gnucash bugzilla db which are not really gnucash bugs.  Examples are Finance::Quote bugs.  I think it is helpful to keep those bugs, so that we have a full picture of the ways in which gnucash doesn't work, even if gnucash isn't the software which needs to be fixed.  However, there is no "wait for dependency" state available.  My suggestion is that we mark those bugs as ASSIGNED and have a special "person" that the bug is assigned to.  I would suggest an separate assignee per dependency (F::Q, GTK+, gtk_print, gtkhtml, webkit, ...).

Thoughts?

Phil