[OSX] Webkit.

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Tue Sep 15 10:31:14 EDT 2009

John Ralls <jralls at ceridwen.us> writes:

> It seems dumb to me, too. As you may have noted, the ticket remains
> open but apparently ignored. I haven't pursued it on the Webkit-gtk
> list yet.
>
> The open hostility is unusual. More common is simple neglect. Most of
> the dev teams are Linux-focussed and not terribly interested in cross-
> platform compatibility. They'll accept patches, but won't do anything
> themselves to ensure compatibility. In the Linux world, the distro
> teams do all sorts of compatibility patches (as do Fink and MacPorts
> maintainers, as David Reiser pointed out.) The Gtk+ team can't even be
> bothered to commit patches since Richard Hult withdrew.
>
> As for you "getting involved", to do what? Adding another lonely voice
> on the dev lists (in your copious spare time ;-) ) won't hurt, but it
> seems unlikely to make much difference.

After reading the bug report it doesn't sound to me like they were
actively trying to not make xquartz work, but rather they didn't
understand what was going on.

Perhaps supplying an alternate patch based on their HEADrev might
appease them?

It's sort of like someone coming here and submitting a patch to 2.2.6
(or 2.0.5) -- we just don't care about it anymore.  But if they supply a
patch to 2.3.5 or HEADrev we're more likely to look.