bounty for online banking idea for GnuCash

Dave (DavesTechShop.net) dave at davestechshop.net
Thu Sep 17 11:16:39 EDT 2009

For me, the first version of this could be as simple as altering the
existing wasabe Firefox add-on so it additionally saves the downloaded files
to my local disk. It would need to name the files appropriately and place
them into a designated directory. That's it. The wasabe Firefox add-on
already does everything else required, afaik.

BTW, the wesabe firefox add-on has scheduling -- it only requires firefox be
open. It does not require user intervention.

(I suppose GnuCash development skills are not required for this first step,
but if the project starts here there are probably more possibilities for
later integration.)

Importing the downloaded files into GnuCash would be a manual process using
the existing QIF importer. Maybe making that automated could be something
for the next version?

If no one is interested in this, maybe I'll use the iOpus iMacros Firefox
add-on and record the macros to download everything. This free add-on lacks
the scheduling features of the wesabe add-on, and I think security is not as
robust. (But my HDD's are fully encrypted, so this is not such a concern for
me.) But I can also record macros to download all the eStatements too.

My list of financial institutions contains about 100 entries, so automation
is important.