Deprecated libraries

Geert Janssens janssens-geert at telenet.be
Thu Sep 24 10:55:38 EDT 2009

While reading the release notes of the just release gnome 2.28, my eye caught
this paragraph:

<Quote>
Fixing Usage of Deprecated Libraries

Starting with GNOME 3.0, various deprecated parts of GNOME will be removed.
These deprecated components include libraries such as libart_lgpl, libbonobo,
libbonoboui, libglade, libgnome, libgnomecanvas, libgnomeprint,
libgnomeprintui, libgnomeui and libgnomevfs. For applications that ship as
part of the GNOME Desktop, a number of cleanup tasks [1] have been carried out
to ensure no deprecated code is used. This will ensure the smooth transition
to GNOME 3.0.

Developers are strongly urged to follow this example in their own applications
too. Furthermore, for any developers (or potential developers) who wish to
help us out, the GNOME goals [1] wiki page lists the various tasks that are
yet to be completed. An automatically created and updated status overview of
remaining work for modules that are supported by the JHBuild build tool can be
found here [2].
</Quote>

What's the state of these libraries in GnuCash ? If I run an ldd on the 2.3.5
binary, it still links to most of these libraries.

I'm just thinking out loud here. Gnome 2.30 or 2.32 will become Gnome 3.0
according to the release notes. This means Gnome 3.0 will hit some major
distributions in about 1 year. So in about 1 year there will be gnome
installations that no longer carry these deprecated libraries, and hence break
GnuCash as it is now.

GnuCash in working towards a new major release (2.4). Personally, I don't
expect GnuCash to do another major release in a one year timeframe. And I
assume a minor release is not the proper place to go on changing library
dependencies.

So I was wondering, is the 2.4 release not the best time to remove GnuCash'
dependency on these deprecated libraries ?

Geert

--
[1] http://live.gnome.org/GnomeGoals
[2] http://www.gnome.org/~fpeters/299.html