[translation] Why are locale specific reports registered in po file?

Yasuaki Taniguchi/谷口康明 yasuakit at gmail.com
Tue Apr 6 08:20:02 EDT 2010

> I agree that GnuCash would benefit from a method to provide country dependent
> features, such as a country specific tax report. I believe this idea has been
> suggested before.
>
> But assuming country specific features wouldn't require translation would be a
> mistake. USA and Germany have only one national language, so it would make
> sense to have the features only in that language. But other countries have
> multiple national languages. Belgium for example has three, South-Africa I
> believe even 11.
>
> For such countries, the country specific features would need to be translated
> as well.
>
> For the 2.4 release, I agree to remove the translation status of the tax
> report. It's US only and would make sense to be in English only as well.
>
> But if country awareness will eventually be added to GnuCash, I think we
> should add some form of translation support for it. Presently, I don't know in
> which form yet.

Thank you for your comment, Greet.

I understand what you want to say very well. Some countries use more
than two languages as official languages, like India, Canada, etc.
And it is good to use translation support for those countries specific reports.

When those reports are made, let's judge its importance.

According to circumstances, it might be in a main gnucash.pot file,  it might
be in a gnucash-somewhare.po file, or it might be other forms.

Best regards,
Yasuaki