reports, template/library proposal -- LAML

Phil Longstaff plongstaff at rogers.com
Fri Apr 16 11:59:02 EDT 2010

On Fri, 2010-04-16 at 17:47 +0300, Laimonas Vėbra wrote:
> Derek Atkins wrote:
>
> > HTML5 + CSS is the direction we seem to be heading, using e-guile
> > as the template rendering mechanism.  But I suspect any major report
> > re-writing is going to happen post-2.4.
>
> Sad, because eguile is just a poor solution and reports (using it) are
> just hard coded messy stuff. It isn't going to evolve to an mature (so
> -- to a friendly, improvable, consistent) reporting no matter how hard
> you try to encode html5 compliant way...

I just took a look at laml.  It basically is a scheme library to
generate various xml outputs, including html.  The advantage is that it
works at a much higher level of abstraction than we currently have.  The
disadvantage is that it is still scheme code.

The purpose of the eguile reports is to provide an HTML template which
is filled in by the eguile code.  This allows people who don't know
scheme programming to modify the HTML template so that the output looks
the way they want.  I'm not sure if we could meet that goal using laml.

Phil