Several problems and suggestions about HTML report display in GnuCash

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Thu Apr 22 13:12:23 EDT 2010

Hi,

Thank you for your input.

Dancefire <dancefire at gmail.com> writes:

> Issue 3) Generated HTML file is not conform to HTML standard.
> You can validate the generated file by http://validator.w3.org/ . It
> will show several comformation problem.

Some of this is due to GtkHTML.  Hopefully WebKit will be better.

> Issue 4) Hardcode HTML in generation script.
>
> I don't think it is a good way to do that. It will strongly limited
> the way of customize report. There should be a templates, which can be
> edit by html designer. The software replace several labels in the
> template to generated report. All style should be controlled by CSS.
> And no Inline Style should be used. It's better use linked style, and
> copy the choosen CSS file to the same location of the report.
>
> Or, you can generate report in XML format, and use different XLST to
> generate different style of report.
>
> All above methods try to seperate generation and the HTML template,
> and seperate data and representation.

This should be better in the next major version (2.4) with the inclusion
of WebKit (which supports CSS) and e-guile (which is an html template
with embedded guile).  This should allow easier manipulation and style
sheet control over reports.

The slow part will be migrating reports over to e-guile.

Anyways, I agree with Geert that you should file bug reports on each of
these items so they don't get lost.

Thank you!