r19077 - gnucash/trunk - Bug #616696 - Development version warning string should not include hardcode version.

Christian Stimming stimming at tuhh.de
Tue Apr 27 15:46:46 EDT 2010

Dear Geert,

unfortunately even this updated patch won't work.

The problem is that the translators will see the string including @-VERSION-@
in the gnucash.pot file, and provide a translation for that. But at runtime,
the string will be different (due to the creation rule for
tip_of_the_day.list), as it will contain "2.2.9" instead of "@-VERSION-@" at
this place. Hence, no translation for this can be found anymore, because the
translations match only for the string containing @-VERSION- at .

The deeper reason for this is that the version number replacement of any
placeholder must be done *after translation*, which implies it can only be
done at run-time and not at install time (which your patch would do).

I think the only solution is to change the code that displays the tip_of_day
to check whether the string contains "%s", *after translation*. If it does,
the translated string is passed through g_strdup_printf to insert some version
number here.

Regards,

Christian