r19080 - gnucash/trunk - Bug #616696 - Development version warning string should not include hardcode version.

Donald Allen donaldcallen at gmail.com
Wed Apr 28 13:28:03 EDT 2010

On Wed, Apr 28, 2010 at 1:15 PM, Derek Atkins <warlord at mit.edu> wrote:
> Geert Janssens <janssens-geert at telenet.be> writes:

>>> This logic will fail when we go from 2.x -> 3.0
>>>
>>> I'd rather this be "hard coded" and we just have a list of places where
>>> we need to "fix" the release number when we make a new stable release.

I'm going to chime in here. I'm not a gnucash developer, but I can
speak from 45 years of professional software development experience.
Hard-coding the release number in multiple places and having a list of
places to "fix" is doomed to fail. Someone will add a new place where
the release number lives and will forget to update the list. Or the
release number will change and whoever changes it will forget to go
through the list, or get a phone call while doing it, or ...., and not
all the places will get changed. I think the release number ought to
be in one and only one place, and everything that depends on it should
get it from there or from files that are generated by a script from
that one source of The Truth.

/Don