Manual and Guide Versions in the documentation

Tom Bullock tbullock at nd.edu
Tue Aug 3 17:23:49 EDT 2010

<<snip>>

Message: 8

Date: Mon, 2 Aug 2010 12:50:20 -0700

From: John Ralls <jralls at ceridwen.us>

Subject: Website Links

Also, the online manual and guide seem to be for 2.0; it should be
updated to 2.2.

Regards,

John Ralls

<</snip>>

John,

Your comment raises the question: What is the process/method that
documentation version reporting should follow?

Looking at the little I have been working on in the Guide, the top-level
NEWS module shows a history of version changes ending at version 2.0.1
dated 10/08/2006. Before that, leading up to that point,  there is a
trail of version changes and implementation dates (I infer) with a brief
comment about reason for entry.

Since the documentation seems to be behind installation of new features,
is there a way to identify the features added since the last point at
which the documentation did match the feature install? If that can be
figured out, then that provides a "to-do" list for documentation updates
(I assume). It also would suggest the order that patches should be
added, if documenting in the order of oldest to newest feature first.

Your thoughts and anyone else's experience would be much appreciated to
define the scope of what is needed.

Thanks.

Tom